By activating 2-step verification on the PlayStation Network, you will add an extra layer of security to your account, protecting your password and data. In the following mini-guide, we explain how to enable this feature on your PS4.
Below, all you need to know to activate and use 2-step verification of PlayStation Network on PS4.
How 2-step verification works
When you enter your login ID and password from your computer, mobile device or tablet or from your PlayStation 4, a unique verification code will be sent to your mobile so that only you can log in.
Specifically, when you log in to a PS4 system with 2-step verification enabled, you will be asked to:
- Enter the password and login ID (e-mail address) of the account.
- Enter the verification code sent to the mobile number associated with the account.
The verification code is valid for 10 minutes after the access attempt. If the code has expired, select [Resend code] from the login screen to get a new code.
How to activate 2-step verification on PS4
To activate the 2-step verification on PS4, just do the following:
- Go to [Settings] -> [Account management] -> [Account information] -> [Security] -> [2-step verification] -> [Configure now].
- Enter your phone number and select [Add].
- You will receive a verification code via SMS. Enter the code in the verification section of PS4 to authorize your phone. Select [Enable] to enable 2-step verification.
- Register your backup codes by going to [Settings] -> [Account management] -> [Account information] -> [Security] -> [2-step verification] -> [Backup codes].
How to disable 2-step verification on PS4
If you change your mind and want to disable 2-step verification on PS4, you can do it with the following procedure:
- Go to [Settings] -> [Account management] -> [Account information] -> [Security] -> [Two-step verification] -> [Status – Not active].
When 2-step verification will be used
When will the 2-step verification mechanism be activated? Usually, the accounts retain access, but a verification code will be sent to you in the following cases:
- If you are logging in for the first time since you activated the 2-step verification.
- If you have disconnected manually from your PS4 and want to reconnect.
- If you reset your account password.
- If you change your login ID.
Where to find backup codes if you no longer have access to your mobile
If you no longer have access to your 2-step verification mobile number, a backup code will still allow you to access your account. Without these codes, you will need to verify your identity to recover the account.
- Go to Account Management from a connected device and select the [Security] tab.
- Select [Backup Codes]. Keep the backup codes in a safe place.
By following the instructions in the guide, you will be able to enable and use 2-step verification on your PS4.