There is still a long way to go until the end of 2019, which has not yet exhausted all its cartridges. In the coming months, they are expected on the heavyweight shelves like Pokémon Sword and Shield, but in the meantime, with the first half of the year now behind us, we can already begin to do two accounts.
From the figures published by Famitsu, it emerged that the most sold game in Japan from 1 January to 30 June 2019 was Kingdom Hearts 3. The game of Square Enix, arrived on the shelves at the end of January after a ten-year wait, has placed 838,277 copies to date. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate follows, which in 2019 sold 779,845 units despite having been launched in December of the previous year (the total number of copies sold amounts to an impressive 3,140,500).
Here is the chart with the 10 best-selling games in Japan from January 1st to June 30th 2019 (in brackets the number of copies sold during the entire life cycle):
- Kingdom Hearts III – 838,927 (New)
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 779,845 (3,140,500)
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 643.426 (New)
- Resident Evil 2 – 393,688 (New)
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 318.492 (2.348,789)
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Let’s Go, Eevee! – 312,278 (1,565,955)
- Minecraft – 305.640 (830.685)
- Super Mario Party – 284.170 (1.049,023)
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice – 260.223 (New)
- Splatoon 2 – 224,791 (3,099,211)
It is interesting to note that only four games published in 2019 are on the charts. Furthermore, six of them are exclusive to Nintendo Switch. Not surprisingly, since last April, just over two years after its launch, the hybrid console has surpassed the overall sales of PlayStation 4.