During the opening ceremony of Gamescom 2019, the Opening Night Live, the first Gamescom Awards 2019 were awarded, divided by genre and platform. In the past few hours, after the closing of the German fair, the jury also awarded special prizes, including one for the best game ever won by Dreams!
The title of Media Molecule, published in Early Access on PlayStation 4 last April, transforms gamers into developers and has been appreciated by the jury as it represents a creation tool that is both accessible and incredibly powerful. Borderlands 3 won the prize for the best multiplayer game, while in Marvel’s Iron Man and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne went the awards for the best VR game and for the best game in continuous development. The Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 has instead been named best hardware.
The 2K and Gearbox looter shooter also proved to be the most anticipated title of the players, while the Award for the best company of the fair went to THQ Nordic. Below is the list with all the prizes awarded:
Gamescom Awards 2019
- Best of Gamescom: Dreams, Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Best VR / AR Game: Marvel’s Iron Man, Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Best Hardware / Technology: Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Microsoft
- Best Multiplayer Game: Borderlands 3, 2K
- Best Ongoing Game: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, Capcom Entertainment
- Best Booth: Indie Arena Booth, Super Crowd Entertainment
- Best eSports Experience: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Gamescom 2019 Invitational, Nintendo
- Best Streamer / Let’s Player: PietSmiet
- Gamescom “Most Wanted” Consumer Award: Borderlands 3, 2K
Gamescom Global Awards
- Best Games Company: THQ Nordic
- HEART OF GAMING Award: Diversity with a focus on accessibility
- Gamescom Indie award: El Hijo, Honig Studios
- Best of CAMPUS: Super Size Hero, Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg
If you have not already done so, you can also consult the list with the Gamescom Awards 2019 assigned during the Opening Night Live last Monday.