Cuba on Monday announced the suspension of all educational activities and the closing of the schools until next April 24thas a measure to contain the spread of coronavirus in Cuba.
“It has made a analysis on the part of the government, have conducted the relevant consultations and the decision has been taken to suspend classes during the next three weeks,” said the Prime Minister of Cuba, Manuel Marrero Cruz in the Round Table this Monday.
The measure enters into force this Tuesday, march 24th. The following week the three of suspension of classes is the week of school break for the month of April, by which schools will be closed one month would be in total.
The University of Havana had already announced before that, beginning Wednesday, march 25, suspending the classes as a preventative measure before the advance of the coronavirus in Cuba, according to published Magazine Alma Mater.
The suspension of classes in all levels of education in the country has been a claim growing in the last few days between cubans inside and outside of the island. During the last week, social networks have become a platform to demand the closure of the schools in the country and criticizing the delay on the part of the cuban government in taking measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
The closure of educational institutions has been one of the first measures taken by the countries that are currently facing this crisis. However, the prime minister Marrero Cruz, had ensured that children and young people are more protected in the schools, in their homes and who therefore had not implemented the measure.
However, he added that the Ministry of Education was evaluating all the possibilities, despite the fact that the minister Ena Elsa Velázquez Cobiella said that in Cuba never had suspended classes due to an epidemiological situation.
This Monday, the Ministry of Public Health (MINSAP) announced the increase to 40 the number of cases of coronavirus in Cuba. Currently, they are admitted under the surveillance 1,036 patients, of which 531 are considered suspected cases. In the primary health care, are kept monitored other 37 788 people.
Starting this Tuesday, march 24th, the entrance to Cuba will be limited to those who are resident in the national territory, cubans or foreigners, and for tourists there will be only exit and not access to the country, to prevent further imported cases of coronavirus. The tourists who are still on the island will be taking in groups of 13 thousand.
The bars, clubs, campismos, theme parks and recreation centers, also will remain closed until further notice, to avoid the crush of people in establishments of non-essential services.
News in development.