This Wednesday, Wimbledon, confirmed that he cancelled the edition 134 of the open dispute in All England. Since its first edition in 1877, the tournament of the great oldest in the world tennis, suffered several cancellations during the First World War and six times had to be postponed in the course of the Second World War, between 1940 and 1945.
After the news, Roger Federer said to be beaten because the tournament had been cancelled for the first time since the Second World War due to the coronavirus. The swiss, who won a record eight individual titles at Wimbledon, men reacted with a single word, tweeting: “Devastated”.
Serena Williamsseven-time champion in the singles female of Wimbledon, was also shaken by the news when the american tweeted: “I’m shokeada”.
The Grand Slam british was to run for two weeks from the 29 of June, with Novak Djokovic and Simona Halep ready to defend their singles titles. But to all the heads of the Club of England there was no choice but to cancel the event in the grass field, which was first organized in 1877, due to the ongoing health crises around the world.
Halep, the Romanian who defeated Serena to win Wimbledon for the first time last year, tweeted: “very sad to hear that Wimbledon will not take place this year”. “The end of last year will forever be one of the happiest days of my life! But we’re going for something bigger than tennis, and Wimbledon again! And that means that I still have more desire to defend my title”.
The legend american Billie-Jean King, six times champion of singles at Wimbledon, said that the cancellation was the right decision: “I understand and fully support the decision of the committee and it is vital that we maintain our focus on those most affected by this pandemito. I’ve been lucky enough to go to Wimbledon every year since 1961 and certainly I’m going to miss this year.
For their part, the two-time champion Petra Kvitova, summed up the predominant feeling among the players, because it said that it would be difficult to spend a year without a visit to Wimbledon: “It is definitely difficult to accept, with the announcement of the cancellation of Wimbledon this year. Not only is a special tournament for me, but it is a tournament that has been part of the story for so long that it will leave a big gap in the calendar.”
In turn, Coco Gauff, the teenager who dazzled us with his career surprise for the last 16 years, tweeted: “I’m going to miss playing at Wimbledon this year. Stay safe everyone, I love you guys”.
Who also joined the messages was Kevin Anderson, defeated by Djokovic in the final of 2018, tweeted: “I’ve Always had so many good memories at Wimbledon. Definitely will miss the season of grass, but the most important thing in what we need to focus at this time is that we all stay healthy and safe at home”.