Man has brain infection and dies after tick bite

A Maine man dies after having a brain infection he contracted when he was bitten by a tick infected with a rare virus.

According to Uol, the Maine Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that the man died last Wednesday (20) in hospital. The virus identified in the victim’s body was “Powassan”, which got its name from being discovered in Powassan, Ontario, in the 1950s.

Authorities have warned residents to take extra care when visiting the region where ticks with these infections usually appear, using repellent, covered clothing for hiking, and avoiding entering denser woods without existing trails.

The virus is rare and is passed from the animal to the human through the bite. In the US, 25 cases have been reported since 2010.
The main alert is due to the delay in symptoms, which only begin to appear between a week and a month after the bite. Most infected people are asymptomatic, but symptoms can include: fever, vomiting, weakness, confusion, memory loss, and seizures.

Portal do Holanda was founded on November 14, 2005. First with a column, named after its founder, journalist Raimundo de Holanda. Then it moved to Blog do Holanda and finally Portal do Holanda. It was one of the first internet sites in the State of Amazonas. It is audited by IVC and ComScore.

About Abhishek Pratap

Food maven. Unapologetic travel fanatic. MCU's fan. Infuriatingly humble creator. Award-winning pop culture ninja.

Check Also

Cats know each other’s names and the names of people they live with

In recent years, scientists have been proving that cats really do connect deeply with humans, …