detect the lack of D vitamin does not require any special or invasive testing. It is discovered with a blood test or a saliva sample. Some of the situations that may favor vitamin D deficiency in the body are:
See also: Attention! These symptoms may indicate that your vitamin C is low
- The lack of exposure to sunlight in a healthy way;
- More pigmented skin;
- People over 50 years old;
- Low intake of foods that are rich in vitamin D;
- People who live in colder and often cloudy places.
Know in the course of this article some symptoms of lack of vitamin D that can appear, what this lack can cause in the human body and some foods that can solve this problem.
But what are the symptoms of a lack of vitamin D in the body?
At first, the symptoms of a lack of vitamin D in the body can take a long time to appear, since there are no very characteristic symptoms. Still, over time, some symptoms may arise, such as:
- Children with stunted growth;
- Children’s legs becoming bowed;
- Enlarged leg and arm bones;
- Early caries and delay in teething, in the case of babies;
- Osteoporosis or osteomalacia;
- Feeling of weakness in the bones;
- Frequent muscle pain;
- Weakness, fatigue or frequent feeling of being unwell;
- Bone pain;
- Lots of muscle spasms.
What can lack of vitamin D cause?
Now that you are aware of the symptoms of a lack of vitamin D, check out below what a deficiency can cause in the body:
- Arterial hypertension;
- Rheumatoid arthritis;
- Multiple sclerosis.
Foods that are rich in vitamin D
Get to know now some of the main foods that contain vitamin D in their composition and, if you are suspecting that you are lacking this vitamin in your body, start consuming them. And, if necessary, look for a specialist doctor.
|Food||Amount of Vitamin D|
|cod liver oil||252 mcg|
|salmon oil||100 mcg|
|Smoked salmon||20 mcg|
|raw oysters||8 mcg|
|fresh herring||23.5 mcg|
|fortified milk||2.45 mcg|
|Boiled egg||1.3 mcg|
|Chicken, pork, turkey and offal in general||0.3 mcg|
|chicken liver||2 mcg|
|Sardines canned in olive oil||40 mcg|
|Bull’s liver||1.1 mcg|
|Cheddar cheese||0.32 mcg|
|fortified soy milk||0.68 mcg|
|organic mushrooms||0.02 mcg|