Nintendo has just closed a 2022 in which its hybrid console has not stopped reaping success. The platform has not only become the best-seller in several international markets, but has even tripled its most direct competitor in sales: PS5. In fact, the Switch has also surpassed a historical titan, the Game Boy, thus becoming the third best-selling console in history.
Their games have also been a hit, with Pokemon Scarlet and Purple rising to the podium of the best sellers before completing two months of life, but they have not been the only ones. The Pokémon saga released two titles last year, and the other exponent, Pokemon Legends Arceus, it was also one of the great bombs of 2022. Focusing on the Japanese market, we found the delivery from Paldeo in first place and the spin-off of the legendary Arceus in third. Separates it splatoon 3 with just under 3.7 million copies, and they are followed by the latest Kirby installment. Shortly after its release, the forgotten land it became the best seller of its franchise.
Switch continues to sweep Japan
The final balance of Japanese software in 2022 is that, of the 10 best-selling games in Japan, 9 belong to Switch. The tenth in discord is Elden Ring, a PlayStation bestseller that barely reaches the top with just over 350,000 units sold. It is also noteworthy that, of the 9 Switch games, 5 are new releases. This demonstrates the enviable state of health of titles like Super Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, or Minecraft.
This is the complete list of the best sellers in Japan in 2022:
- [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet/Purple – 4,338,931 / NEW
- [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 3,687,814 / NEW
- [NSW] Pokémon Legends: Arceus – 2,314,806 / NEW
- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 969,047 / NEW
- [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 887,722 / NEW
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 742,018 / 5,014,375
- [NSW] Minecraft – 548,415 / 2,960,006
- [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 485,594 / 1,114,132
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 441,053 / 5,065,191
- [PS4] Elden Ring – 356,711 / NEW