FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. — A Georgia mother is urging dock owners to conduct safety checks after her son was electrocuted at Lake Lanier.
Thomas Shepard “Shep” Milner died Thursday after he jumped off the dock at his family’s Forsyth County home and was shocked by electricity in the water.
“Our dock was less than 3 years old and was electrified by a licensed electrician,” said Martha Milner Channel 2 Action News. “I would urge harbor owners to check their electricity and make repairs immediately.”
(FETCH: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news)
On Thursday, the Officials with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources received a report of a man in shock near Lanier Beach South Road in Forsyth County. Family members and neighbors attempted to rescue and perform CPR on Shep Milner. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Martha Milner says her son grew up swimming at the family’s lake property, which they’ve owned for decades, and that he loved everything by the water.
“He would spend his day off jet skiing, swimming or just snoozing on the dock to some music,” she said.
Milner said her son was one of the smartest people she knew and wants people to remember him as the gentle and kind man he had become.
“Most of all, Shepard was gentle and kind, loving and accepting. He didn’t care what your beliefs were; political, racial, sexual. Everyone was equal in his eyes. Shepard was known for his quirkiness, his humor and his commitment. Shepard touched many lives in many ways.”
The family will hold a celebration of life service for Milner on Saturday at Reformation Brewery in Canton from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
(SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines newsletter)