- Doctors warn the hot steam and flying debris can damage your eyes and skin
- The dangerous exploding egg TikTok challenge gets millions of views
Microwave-boiled eggs can cause life-changing damage, experts warned today amid TikTok’s latest trend.
Videos of people deliberately cutting the eggs so they explode in a cloud of steam have garnered millions of views.
But eye doctors claim the hot steam released by the ‘egg explosion’ poses a great danger.
Dr. Grace Wang, an ophthalmologist at the University of Michigan, said: ‘Don’t try it because it’s not worth it.
‘You can get a lot of painful injuries that can change your face, your appearance and your vision.
‘The hot steam and the hot egg together with the force of the explosion can really hit you in the face and cause burns, and not just on your skin. It can burn your eyes and cause damage.’
She said the injuries can damage tissue and cause scarring of the eyes, which can be painful. Scarring can also cause long-term vision problems.
Such injuries can also damage the cells that help repair tissue at the front of the eye, said Dr. Wang.
Thorrun Govind, former president of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, said: ‘Burns and eye injuries are not things that can be easily repaired.
“I think it’s extremely worrying that people are considering doing this.
‘This can cause really serious damage that you may even end up needing surgery for.’
Mum left in ‘absolute agony’ after microwaved poached egg EXPLODED in her face while trying viral TikTok hack
Mum left in ‘absolute agony’ after microwave egg EXPLODED in her face while trying viral TikTok hack
A video by TikTok user @chrlotteoram, which has 24.6 million views, sees her poke a fork into a microwaved boiled egg in a bowl of noodles, only for it to explode.
Another posted by @HGbros sees the couple hesitantly stab a boiled egg with a knife to show the yolk bursting across the kitchen. It has 7.5 million views.
TikTok user Abbie Sloan has more than 300,000 views on her video, which shows a woman jumping back in shock as her boiled eggs explode on the plate.
The woman instructs people to ‘take it out of the bowl’ of water and ‘cut the egg in the middle’ before it explodes.
But this temporary TikTok fame could explain why people give the dangerous challenge a chance in the first place, experts said.
“I think part of the reason for doing it is curiosity about the sound it makes, plus it’s something you can challenge your friends to do,” said Dr. Wang.
She added: ‘These videos can get a lot of views or clicks online because the explosion is an exciting thing that happens.’
Doctors are urging those injured after trying the trend or accidentally microwaving an egg to seek medical attention.
Eggs can be cooked in the microwave, but never in their shells, according to British Lion Eggs. Egg yolks must also be pricked before cooking.
Pockets of superheated water inside the yolk do not boil immediately because surface tension prevents bubbles from forming.
But when this is broken, they suddenly boil and release bubbles rapidly, causing what appears to be an explosion.
What are the dangers of microwaving eggs?
Cooking shelled eggs in a microwave oven is dangerous because the shell retains heat.
This means that once you remove the egg from the microwave, it will continue to cook and any disturbance could cause an explosion.
Similar dangers apply when cooking sunny side up or poached eggs in the microwave.
Microwave ovens are an average of 22 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than microwaved water.
Pockets of superheated water in the yolk do not boil immediately because surface tension prevents bubbles from forming.
However, once this is broken, they suddenly boil and release bubbles rapidly, causing what appears to be an explosion.